Cookies Policy

We use cookies to ensure we give you the best experience on our site. If you continue without changing your settings, we assume you're happy to receive all cookies on this site. If you would like to, you can manually change your cookie settings at any time.


News & Knowledge

Representative of overseas business and the advantages available when moving to the Isle of Man

10th July 2018
Pauline Rottstock

An Isle of Man ‘Representative of an Overseas Business’ Visa (a ‘ROB’ Visa) is a fast-track option for senior company employees to gain a three-year visa. Additional support packages available from the Isle of Man Government include relocation expenses, key employee tax benefits and an attractive tax cap for wealthy entrepreneurs moving to the island. MSI's Isle of Man member firm Dixcart Management (IOM) Limited provides further insight.

The Isle of Man, United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Republic of Ireland collectively form a ‘Common Travel Area’. In effect this means that travel between each jurisdiction is deemed to be an internal domestic journey and there are no separate immigration controls in place.

This, of course, is not the case for foreign nationals journeying to members of the ‘Common Travel Area’ from overseas. It is then important to follow the immigration rules carefully to ensure that a suitable visa is applied for and held.

The Isle of Man has its own Immigration Rules and Immigration Service. The United Kingdom’s Immigration Rules are extended to the Isle of Man, whereby the Isle of Man makes modifications to reflect its different constitution.

Different Types of Visa

There are numerous different options available to foreign nationals, including 4 main options at Tier 1: a Tier 1 Investment Visa, Tier1 Entrepreneur Visa, Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa and a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa. There are also a range of Tier 2, Tier 5, Study and Family Visas available, depending on individual circumstances.

An additional option, which can be very beneficial for businesses wishing to set up an office in the Isle of Man, is the ‘Representative of Overseas Business’ Visa – or ROB.

What is a ‘Representative of an Overseas Business’ Visa – ‘ROB’?

A ROB Visa is an option for senior and experienced individuals to gain an initial 3-year Visa (possibly extending for a further 2 years) by relocating to the Isle of Man and setting up a branch or subsidiary of an overseas company. The basic requirements are as follows:

  • Overseas company establishes an Isle of Man branch or subsidiary.
  • The applicant is the sole representative working full-time within the business.
  • Must have been originally recruited and employed outside the Isle of Man.
  • Must be experienced and of senior status within the company and have the authority to establish and operate the entity.
  • The applicant cannot be a major shareholder in the parent company.
  • The initial 3-year Visa can be extended for a further 2 years and with ‘ILR’ (Indefinite Leave to Remain) after 5 years – with an option to Naturalise.
  • KOLL (Knowledge of Language and Life) required at the time of the application.

Timescales and Pros and Cons of using a ‘ROB’ Visa

The earliest an application can be made is 3 months before travel and a decision on the Visa should be received within 3 weeks of the application, when applying from outside the ‘Common Travel Area’.

ROB can:

  • Work full time for their employer.
  • Bring family members to the Isle of Man.
  • Extend the Visa multiple times.
  • Apply to settle after 5 years.

ROB cannot:

  • Work for themselves or any other business.
  • Stay in the Isle of Man if the arrangement is ended by the employer.
  • Switch to this Visa from another Visa category.
  • Receive public funds (Income Support etc.).

Read the full article: Representative of overseas business and the advantages available when moving to the Isle of Man

About Dixcart Management (IOM) Ltd - Douglas

With over 25 years’ experience, Dixcart Management (IOM) Limited specialises in the establishment, management and administration of offshore structures for international commercial and private clients.

View firm profile